Troubleshooting Capti Account
!I am supposed to get an email from Capti but I do not see it
You have the following options:
- Make sure the email is not in your junk or spam folder
- Make sure that the email address you provided is correct
- QQ email service usually rejects Capti e-mails. Please set up your QQ account to allow emails from email@example.com or use a different email service.
If none of the above helps then either our email is rejected by your email server (can happen with non-personal emails) or the Capti account doesn't exist.
!An organization account member cannot find their confirmation email
You have the following options:
- Make sure the email is not in your junk or spam folder
- Make sure that the email address you provided is correct
- Try resending the account confirmation email. Go to Admin Members, click ... next to member's name to open menu, then click Re-Invite.
- Avoid the need for sending confirmation email. Go to Admin Members, click ... next to member's name to open menu, then click Activate... and fill in the password. Inform the member of their password. They will be able to log in without a confirmation email using the password you provided.
!I am unable to log in to Capti
If you have a Capti account, press Restore Password or I forgot my passport in the Log In dialog and follow the instructions.
!I can't figure out how to cancel my Capti subscription
To cancel your Capti subscription on iPhone or iPad follow those steps:
- Open Settings iTunes & App Store
- Tap your Apple ID at the top of the screen.
- Tap View Apple ID. You may need to sign in.
- Tap Subscriptions.
- Tap on Capti subscription. If you don't see it listed make sure that you are logged in to iTunes with the correct user ID.
- Tap Cancel Subscription
Note: If you started your subscription on an iOS device then you need to use an iOS devide or Apple website to cancel the subscription.
!I purchased Capti premium plan but Capti tells me that I didn't
Sometimes after you reinstall Capti (or in some other rare cases) you need to remind Capti that you purchased premium plan. To do this go to Settings Premium Plan and tap Restore in the top-right corner.
!I am unable to add students or teachers to my organization account
You can add new members if
- Your Capti organization account has sufficient remaining member capacity.
- Your Capti account has a Teacher or an Administrator role.
Contact your Capti organization account administrator or us at firstname.lastname@example.org (if you are the administrator) to make appropriate adjustments. Learn more about adding users to an organization plan.
Troubleshooting Content Import
? I can’t access my OneDrive / Office 365 account from Capti
If you see a “need admin approval” message on screen when accessing OneDrive / Office 365 account from Capti, you or your account administrator need to allow users to provide consent when logging in. Use the following steps:
- Sign into your Office365 administrator account.
- Go to Settings > Org Settings
- In User consent to apps, make sure the checkbox "Let users provide consent..." is checked
- Click Save Changes
? Will the content I import into Capti be accessible on other devices ?
Yes! The Library is automatically synchronized between Capti website and Capti app on iPhone and iPad. Assignments are a web-only feature.
? How do I import content from iBooks?
- Find out the location of your iTunes Media Folder on your Windows / Mac: iTunes, go to Preferences, open Advanced tab and locate "iTunes Media Folder". Remember it, or write it down.
- Connect your device to iTunes and select it.
- Find and select Capti in the “Apps” section of your device.
- Press Add…
- Navigate to the "iTunes Media Folder" you found earlier, open the “Books” folder and select the books you want to import into Capti.
- Once iTunes finishes copying the files to your device you will be able to find them in Capti.
! A document I want to import is not listed when I open cloud service
- Capti in browser will not list documents and files that it cannot load.
- Capti for iOS will list native Google Drive documents as grayed-out when accessing Google Drive via iCloud Drive. To import native Google Drive documents access them by going to Add Tracks Google Drive.
! A document is not loading into the Playlist
- Make sure you have enough space on your device. On iPhone / iPad you can see how much space you have left if you open Apple's " Settings" app and go to General Storage & iCloud Storage.
- Make sure the file is not DRM-protected. Capti cannot read DRM-protected documents. Most books in online book stores such as Kindle, iBookstore, Nook, etc. have DRM protection. Removing DRM is technically possible, but will violate your contract with the 3rd party providing the ebook.
- Make sure the file is not too large. If your file is greater than the maximum size allowed (10MB for free accounts, 100MB for paid accounts) the file will not load.
- Some books in Bookshare library are unavailable for download for your specific account.
There are two possibilities here:
Option 1: Capti lists the book as available for download, but when you add it to
playlist the download fails. This is likely because the qualifying information of
the Bookshare account you are using doesn't match what's required to download this
If you have edit permissions for the Bookshare account you can fix it like this:
- Login into your account on Bookshare.org.
- Click Members on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the name of the member that you want to edit.
- Update qualifying information appropriately. For example if the member has IEP the book requires it, check the "User has an IEP" checkbox.
- Click Save
- Try to add the book into Capti again.
- Option 2: Capti lists the book as not available for download (this is indicated by an icon to the left of the book's name). Make sure that you accepted the terms and conditions on the bookshare.org website. If this doesn't help then the book is likely not available for your Bookshare account and you won't be able to add to the playlist.
- Option 1: Capti lists the book as available for download, but when you add it to playlist the download fails. This is likely because the qualifying information of the Bookshare account you are using doesn't match what's required to download this book. If you have edit permissions for the Bookshare account you can fix it like this:
! A PDF document I imported into the playlist doesn't play
Check if the document is accessible by trying to highlight a section of words with your mouse. If you can't then the PDF is not accessible and the right way to import it into Capti is by checking off the box that says “Convert scanned image or PDF using OCR” in the "Import Document" dialog (this method will use 1 Capti Coin per document page).
! A document I imported into the playlist doesn't look right
- If you are importing a PDF in "Original Layout" format it may not work perfectly with some complex files.
- If the document is not a PDF file try converting it into a PDF file first, or uploading it into your Google Drive and importing it from there.
- If you are taking a photo, try retaking it under better lighting conditions.
! A web page is not loading into the Playlist
- While Capti can intelligently process most web pages, we occasionally find one that does not work as expected.
- If you used the Capti Bookmarklet to add an article that stretches across multiple web pages, only the text from the current web page will be added. To add multi-paged articles use the built-in browser in the Capti app in the AppStore.
! Bookmarks that I added to my PDF file are not displayed in Capti
If you added bookmarks outside of Capti then Capti will not be able to recognize them.
! Images in a track are not displayed
- You may not have the premium account, which is necessary to add tracks with images
- You haven't been subscribed to the premium account at the time the track was added to Capti. If you have a premium account now, you can add the track again and the images (if any) should appear.
- The original document has to be in PDF, DOC, DOCX, or EPUB formats to see images
!Playback (speech synthesis) skips text or working poorly
Make sure you are using a premium voice (voice purchased from or subscribed to in Capti). Click Voices in the top menu and set a premium voice as preferred by clicking Choose next to it.
!Playback (speech synthesis) is not working
If you are using the online version of Capti with streaming voices purchased from Capti then make sure that the following URLs and IPs are open:
- www.captivoice.com 220.127.116.11
- vss.captivoice.com 18.104.22.168
If you are using the online version of Capti in the Firefox browser you need to make sure speech synthesis is enabled, as follows:
- In the Firefox address bar, type in “about:config” and press Enter.
- Click the “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- Enter “media.webspeech.synth.enabled” in the search bar and press Enter.
- If "media.webspeech.synth.enabled" is set to false, double click the line to set the value to true.
- Restart the browser
!Playback (speech synthesis) stopped working
- If you are using a trial version of a Capti voice your trial period might have ended. You can keep using this voice by purchasing it from the Voices view.
- You may have changed your preferred voice in the Voices view.
- If you are using an online version of Capti check that you have internet connection.
!I cannot find a voice I expected to use
- If you are using Capti on iPhone or iPad and you recently reinstalled Capti, then you need to restore your old purchases. Go to Voices > More Voices and tap Restore. Now you can download all your voices.
- If you are using Capti website then clearing your browser cache and cookies may solve this problem. The following instructions should work for most browsers:
- Press Ctrl-Shift-Delete (Windows) or Command-Shift-Delete (Mac). A window with options will open.
- Select Cache and Cookies items (they may be called slightly differently in different browsers).
- Confirm and reload Capti webpage.
- If you purchased the voice in question on a different operating system you will not be able to use it. Voices purchased on iOS will work on iPhones and iPads only. Voices subscribed to on Capti website will work on the Capti website only.
!When I start playback a track is voiced in the wrong language (voice)
On Capti website: to change track's language right click track in the sidebar and choose Track Properties. You can’t change track language on an iOS device.
Troubleshooting LMS Error Messages
!Single sign-on is not available: shared key/secret not found.
Capti LTI App in your Learning Management System must be configured to use the correct consumer key and shared secret. You can find your key and secret by logging into Capti (www.captivoice.com) with your Capti Administrator account and going to Admin Organization LTI Integration. If you don't have an administrator account report this problem to someone with this level of access.
!Single sign-on is not available: shared key/secret and your primary Learning Management System email address do not map to the same education account.
Capti LTI App in your Learning Management System is not linked to the same Capti education account as your Learning Management System email. If your email is in the wrong Capti education account then move it to the same Capti education account that's linked to your LTI App. Or you may also configure Capti LTI App to use the correct key and secret.
!Single sign-on is not available: your Learning Management System account has no primary email.
In order to sign into Capti you must have a primary email in Learning Management System. Please make sure it is specified and try again.
!Single sign-on is not available: your account was previously removed.
Your account was removed from Capti education account. Ask to be reenrolled in Capti and try again.
!Cannot create a new account due to licensing restrictions.
The quota for licenses in Capti was exceeded. Please contact your administrator or sign in with a different email.
!Cannot create a new account: automatic account provisioning is disabled for this Capti education account.
Your Learning Management System email is not in Capti education account and it cannot be added automatically. Please sign in with a different email.
!Cannot create a new account or sign on: user role not detected.
Capti must know your role in the Learning Management System system, but your role could not be detected. Possible cause: misconfigured LTI variables.
!Cannot create a new account or sign on: user role not compatible with Capti.
Capti must know your role in the Learning Management System system, but your role is not compatible with Capti. Please sign in with a different email or add this account to Capti manually before signing in from your Learning Management System.
!Single sign-on was disabled by Capti account administrator.
You can enable single sign-on by logging into Capti (www.captivoice.com) with your Capti Administrator account and going to Admin Organization LTI Integration. If you don't have an administrator account report this problem to someone with this level of access.
!This feature is disabled.
The feature you are trying to use has been disabled in the Capti education account.
!You need an Assistant, Teacher or Administrator role in Capti to access this feature.
The feature you are trying to use is restricted and cannot be accessed by user with "student" role.
!You do not have access to the assignments in [Name of School or Location].
The assignment you are trying to access is not in your school/location.
!This assignment no longer exists in Capti.
The assignment you are trying to access was deleted.
!You do not have permission to access this assignment.
You are not listed in the assignments you are trying to access. You can only be added to this assignment manually.
!This assignment is currently On Hold
You need teacher’s permission to access this assignment. Ask your teacher to post it for you and then try opening it here again.
!This assignment is currently In Progress
The assignment you are trying to access is In Progress on a different computer or was incorrectly turned off. Ask your teacher to make it available for you and open it here again.
!Please reload the page to make sure Capti keeps working correctly.
An unidentified error has occurred. Reloading the page might help. If the error persists, please contact email@example.com.
!This assignment is not yet open. It will open on [Date and Time].
The assignment has been scheduled to start on the specified date and time. The assignment will become accessible after it starts.
!Invalid LTI request.
This error message can be caused by one of the following:
- Browser extension is blocking your Learning Management System from correctly connecting to Capti via LTI. Disable any browser extensions that may be at fault and try again.
- LTI App Key/Secret may be missing. Capti LTI App in your Learning Management System must be configured to use the correct consumer key and shared secret.
Troubleshooting Miscellaneous Issues
?The Player window in Capti browser extension is not opening
Make sure that your browser is not blocking popups on the page.
? Is Capti Voice accessible?
Yes, Capti Voice will work with common screen readers on your device. We are testing with NVDA and JAWS on Windows, as well as VoiceOver on Mac and iOS.
? What's the best browser to use Capti with my screen reader?
The best browser to use Capti with Jaws is Google Chrome or Firefox. Jaws does recommends Internet Explorer but that's a very outdated browser that is not going to work well with modern websites anyway.
The best browser to use Capti with NVDA is Firefox. Capti works equally well with Chrome and Firefox, but NVDA works better with Firefox.
The best browser to use Capti with VoiceOver is Google Chrome or Firefox. That said, Capti Voice also works well in Safari.
! Capti shortcuts don't work with JAWS screen reader
You can use Capti shortcuts with JAWS. If you are using JAWS 16.0.2136 or higher, you first need to turn on "Allow Web Application Reserved Keystrokes" in the JAWS Settings Center or Quick Settings. Do the following in JAWS:
- Click Insert + F2
- Select "Run Settings Center"
- Search for "web app."
- Check the box next to Allow Web Applications Reserved Keystrokes. Make sure that you edit the default file.
If you are using an old version of JAWS or do not wish to turn on this setting you can also activate any Capti shortcut by preceeding it with Insert + 3 which causes the next keystroke to be passed directly to Capti Voice. For example, to start listening to track you would click Insert + 3 followed by Q.
! I can't find definition or translation of a word I am looking for
The following may be the reasons:
- Capti only supports lookup of definitions in English language.
- If you are a member of educational account the account administrator might have turned this feature off.
- This feature requires an internet connection. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
? Is Capti using Google Translate?
Capti is using advanced natural language processing algorithms to determine the part of speech of the word you selected and to determine if the word is a part of a larger phrase. We use this information to look up translations and definitions in our own database, and sometimes in Google Translate. As a result our translations and definitions are much more contextually accurate than if you were using Google Translate on its own.