Capti Narrator is designed from the ground up with a strong focus on accessibility, by a team with extensive experience in this area. Back in September 2013 Dr. Borodin gave a talk about improving accessibility and demonstrated Capti Narrator for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) at the Accessibility & Innovation Initiative Speaker Series. You can find the video recording of the talk on the event webpage.
Our plans go far beyond making sure our products work well with screen-readers. Stay tuned for good surprises in the future!
We're super excited to announce that we are releasing detailed tutorial videos for all of Capti Voice's best features!
To start, learn how to add tracks to your Capti playlist from your computer, or from Bookshare. These are just a few of the questions that will be answered in our current, and upcoming tutorial videos.
Up until now, Capti Voice Administrators were required to have two accounts that were assigned to two different email addresses: one for adding teachers, assistants, and students to the organization, and another to access the Playlist view.
As a result of our latest release for Capti Online and Capti Desktop, Administrators are no longer required to have two separate accounts.
Your Administrator account username is typically in this format: firstname.lastname@example.org, and the password would be set to either capti1 or Teacher1.
We recommend logging in with your Administrator account username and password from now on. Your other account, which is assigned to your actual email and is given the Teacher role, can be ignored. Your improved Administrator account has gained the ability to do everything your Teacher account can do, so there is no longer the need to use both.
If you have any questions regarding this change, please contact us at email@example.com.
Hi, Capti fan! We have been working hard to improve your text-to-speech experience and have some exciting news to share. Numerous updates have been added recently which will make it easier than ever for you to listen to content.
Stay tuned for more regular updates and news regarding Capti Voice, and assistive technology as a whole.
Updates for Desktop:
- View images in Bookshare books
- Add annotations: notes, highlights and bookmarks
- Synchronize annotations with desktop and web versions
- Listen to individual comments and quotations
- Review annotations as a list and filter by type
- Premium Acapela voices are now available in Capti Online, including Chromebooks
- You can now paste tracks into empty Playlists
- You can use keyboard shortcuts (https://www.captivoice.com/capti-site/public/entry/faq#pc_shortcuts) for increased accessibility
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) allows teachers to take pictures of worksheets, textbook pages, tests, etc. and import them into their playlists. You will then be able to use text-to-speech to read the document!
- Use your favorite TTS voice to listen to translations, definitions, annotations, and the Word Challenge game
- Use a new role-filter on the Members page that allows teachers and administrators to filter members in the organization by role
Updates for iOS:
- View PDFs in their original layout; on your iPhone and iPad
- Take photos and add them to your Playlist
- Export your annotations from the tracks
- Change speech rate directly in Playlist
- Navigate text by bookmarks and time intervals
- Hear earcons when Capti cannot navigate
We really appreciate feedback from our clients so that we can continue to consistently update our product to the specifications of those who will be benefiting from it. Always feel free to leave a comment or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with any suggestions!
I am happy to report that we just released a new version of Capti for iPhone: 1.7. Besides better compatibility with iOS8 it brings a number of important updates:
- You can now add content from your Pocket account to Capti Playlist
- We also added Bookshare – a resource with almost 300 thousand books and periodicals restricted to our users with print disabilities (please contact Bookshare to check if you qualify).
- You can now enjoy books in DAISY format!
- Our extensive collection of adult voices has been expanded with: Indian English (Raveena), Turkish (Filiz), Swedish (Astrid), Portugal Portuguese (Cristiano), and German (Julia).
- In addition to American English child voices (Ivy, Kenny, Nelly), we are happy to add new child voices speaking with British English accent (Harry and Rosie) and American English accent (Ella and Josh). Try them for free – your kids may enjoy listening to other kids reading to them!
- Finally, you can now share Capti tracks with your friends via AirDrop.
Today brings many updates to our website.
First and foremost, we are proud to present the free downloadable Capti extension version 0.9 for Firefox browser. This is a sneak-peak preview of our upcoming major 1.0 release. Version 0.9 is intended for the curious brave souls out there, and it is not fully screen-reader accessible. However, if you want to get a glimpse of the future, go right ahead, and give it a try! But please be patient with Capti if it is misbehaving - it is only learning to walk! Please let us know if there is a feature (or 10!) that you want to see in Capti.
Second is the Capti Bookmarklet that you can install in any browser and then use to add any webpages to Capti. Even if you don't use Firefox browser or have Capti extension installed, this is very useful if you downloaded Capti for iPhone.
Third is the new "Support" section, complete with comprehensive help for Capti users.
Last but not least is this news page, or a blog, if you will, where we will post news about Capti, as well as general thoughts relating to what we are striving to accomplish here at Charmtech Labs LLC.
- Now you can read track content visually, and Capti will highlight every word it reads
- You can use the table of content or navigate by page, sentence, paragraph, heading, etc.
- With Capti extension, you can import content from Safari, Chrome, Opera and many other apps by using the Share button
- You now have access to over 49,000 free books from Gutenberg
- Import your documents from Microsoft’s OneDrive
- Try our full-text search – pull down on the Playlist
- Configure the speech rate for each language individually
- Capti is now fully compatible with the iPad – synchronize with your iPhone playlist
- Capti is also substantially more reliable
- Free Voice Upgrade: the top quality voices are now even better
- Try the new amazing high-quality voices: Sharon and kid Justin (U.S. English), Lisa (Australian English), Rhona (Welsh English), kids Jonas and Lea (German), kids Emilio and Valeria (U.S. Spanish and English), and Rodrigo (Spanish)